Hydropower & dams
Planning Renewable Energies
As an independent Swiss engineering consultancy, Gruner is proud of its history and core competencies in dam and hydropower design. Water is one of our country's key natural resources. Hydropower is, and will remain, a prime energy source. It is renewable, highly efficient and climate- and eco-friendly. It can be used both to generate electricity and to store large quantities of energy.
The dam and hydropower services we propose cover the entire lifecycle of a dam and hydropower scheme. To date, our engineers and specialists have successfully completed well over 100 major schemes and have participated in many more for the construction, extension and rehabilitation of dams and hydropower plants in Switzerland and abroad.
We offer a wide range of engineering, consulting, project development and project management services for public- and private-sector clients. These cover all project stages, from inception and preliminary studies to works supervision and commissioning. We also cover projects of all sizes from Run-of-River to storage-type hydropower projects of 1 MW to several thousand MW. We have comprehensive experience of all the Engineering roles and thus can act as Owner’s Engineer, EPC Engineer or indeed as Lender’s Engineer. Our hydraulic and environmental engineering experts also design state-of-the-art water supply systems, river renaturalization schemes and flood control infrastructure and measures.
We have built a reputation over many decades designing and supervising the construction, rehabilitation, and modernization of some of the largest dams and hydropower plants in the world. Our expertise in dam and hydropower engineering is highly regarded and sought after both inside and outside Switzerland
We have extensive engineering design and supervision experience in the fields of dams, hydrology, geotechnics, hydraulics, hydraulic steel structures, power plants, energy transmission, river and water basin management, water supply and water transfer schemes and flood control.
We actively support Research and Development in the Sector and as a result we can now provide such innovative services as :
- CRUEX++ estimating the extreme flooding in Alpine catchments
- HYPOS – a next generation tool for Water Resource and Sediment management based on Earth Observation methods
- Tethys – a state of the art operation forecasting tool for hydrology
- Hydrogen – the Hybridization of hydropower plannots
We would like to highlight several of our speciality services are:
- Dam safety surveillance and management services
- Hydropower rehabilitation services
- Dam heightening and rehabilitation services
- Penstocks and Pressure shaft engineering
- Scan2BIM, surveying & data capture services
- Underground and geotechnical engineering services
- Pumped Hydroelectric Energy Storage design and construction services
- Design, construction and modernisation of transmission lines and substations
- Hydraulic and river engineering
Photo : Shahid Rajaee