What is involved in dam monitoring and surveillance?
As dams age, particular attention is paid to detect any anomalies as early as possible. Monitoring these dams is an integral part of the overall approach to safety adopted by dam owners in Switzerland. Together with structural safety and the action plan for emergencies, it is one of the three pillars that ensure optimum safety of these installations. In parallel, the correct management of the monitoring regulations and documentation for each dam is guaranteed through the use of simple and effective monitoring processes.
What experience do we have in dam safety?
As a well-established engineering consultancy, we have been active for over nine decades in the field of dam construction & rehabilitation, continuous dam monitoring and dam safety in general. Several of our senior staff have been appointed as dam experts by the Swiss authorities and as such ensure the highest level of safety for over twenty large dams in Switzerland. We have been involved in providing technical assistance for the definition and study of or the revision of the dam safety regulatory frameworks and also for the dam safety regulation works of several countries including Iran, China, Turkey, Myanmar and Georgia.
Our dam safety projects involve our experts undertaking the monthly analysis of the measurements provided by certain clients who monitor their own dams, we provide immediate warning in case of critical values. Our experts also carry out annual dam inspections and prepare annual engineer’s reports on their status. These reports are then transmitted to the Swiss Federal Water Management Authority.
What dam safety services do we offer?
Our team of multidisciplinary experts can perform comprehensive inspection, reviews all aspects of the design, operation, maintenance, condition and performance of all dam types and power plants. Our services include:
- Comprehensive dam safety inspection and assessment
- Dam break analysis, flood assessment and hazard mapping
- Seismic assessment
- Comprehensive operations and management support including training
- In-situ testing, stability analysis and seepage assessment of the geotechnical conditions of the Dam and power house foundations
- Dam Instrumentation and monitoring schemes, and the elaboration of Emergency Preparedness Plans (EPP)
- Alkali Aggregate Reaction (AAR) diagnosis, treatment and management
- Structural stability analysis including Finite Element Modelling (FEM)
- Dam and powerhouse rehabilitation design and construction supervision
- Definition and study of or the revision of the dam safety regulatory frameworks and also for dam safety regulation works